Bandsaw is almost like a panacea or problem-solver for the carpenters and construction workers because of its comparatively smoother control, broader flat table, continuous cutting action, longer steel blade with required tooth and cleaner cuts than those of a jigsaw.
With the go of the world, the working instruments have been changed in carpentry as well as in construction works. This bandsaw is offering you with its multi-dimensional simpler usage to boost up and smoothen your art of carpentry. Wood, plastics, thick paper sheets and metal sheets anything you require in your work; can be shaped, curved and designed as you wish using this bandsaw.
To bring out the maximal outcome of its usage, we recommend you particularly the beginners to take a glance at 8 band saw tips & tricks about using it in multi-purpose work.
Table of Contents
1. Knowing about ABC of bandsaw
- The bandsaw is the best desired instrument for making curved cuts, re-sawing and large depth cuts on thick materials such as wood, plastics and metal sheets except iron or steel.
- Containing a jagged thin vertical steel-blade, the bandsaw is driven by a controllable electric motor.
- As per the work requirement, there are various sorts of blades in the market based on tooth size, tooth shape, blade material etc. But the most common and user-friendly blade types are skip-tooth blade, regular-tooth blade and hook-tooth blade.
2. Watch out before operating the bandsaw:
- Though it is easy to run a bandsaw, beginners should follow some safety rules of operational caution to avoid unwanted minor accidents.
- While the blade is moving, keep your fingers minimum 3 inch away from the blade.
- Eyes, face and ears should be protected by wearing safety glasses on eyes and safety shields on face & ears.
- Try to avoid loose-fitting dress, jewellery and long hair while running the blade.
- Never remove small pieces from the table while the blade is moving.
- Check the blade tension, speed and tracking before starting.
- Fingers & hand should never be kept in blade path.
- At the time of cutting small or short pieces, always use push sticks, feather boards or any other safety device to push forward the piece.
3.Choose and set right blade
Based on your work and the component you want to cut, you need to pick the right blade and install that in the bandsaw. As you are a fresher to use a bandsaw, it is better for you to use the regular-tooth blade which is universally used for general purpose to cut any materials except iron or steel sheets. But if you want to make fast cuts in your work, it is highly recommended to use hook-tooth blade as it is larger than regular blade with its deeper gullet.
To cut plastics, softwoods and any other metal sheets except iron and steel, using skip-tooth blade is a perfect choice.
4. Careful operation of a bandsaw
After installing blade and ensuring all security steps, it is necessary to adjust the blade guard to the appropriate height from the object you are going to cut. The more the blade is covered, the more secured your hands will be .The experts strongly recommend to set up the blade guard minimum ¼ – 1/8 inch above the material you are cutting as this diminishes the possibility of blade breaking.
As per your work requirement and your material type, the cutting speed should be variable which you can adjust by the speed motor watching at the speed indicator display. While operating the bandsaw and the blade is running, you should not lean much towards the table.
5.Adjusting blade tension:
Like everyone surely you want to enhance the durability of your bandsaw and the blades. After a single use of the blade, it is recommended to redeem the blade tension for preventing its breaking possibility and ensuring better performance in next task.
It is also suggested to utilize this bandsaw’s advance feature blade-tracking system to monitor the viability of your blade. Blade tracking feature will help you to decide when to change the blade you are using and what its condition.
6.Way of cutting curves:
The most amazing characteristic of bandsaw is the simplicity in cutting curves according to your requirement. Comparing to straight cut, it is quite different to cut in curved shape. To get a perfect curved cut, there is a necessity to slow down your work speed.
Moreover, you need to use thicker blade for curved shape in cutting more than one object at a time.
7. Technique of Re-sawing:
Re-sawing is a way of slicing a piece of thick wood to get two thinner slice of same width and length. The carpenters or the woodworkers who like to bring variation in their work, they always try to give a fancy look in their chopped wood. Re-sawing the wood can be one the best techniques to get fancy slice from a thick piece of wood.
In this regard, bandsaw is the perfect tool for anyone which is very effective in the art of re-sawing. After re-sawing the two slices reveal almost identical grain pattern and colour which look like book-matched and can be used for making fancy furniture.
To re-saw a piece of wood properly, first you need to set the blade straight. Then confirm that the fence is parallel to the blade at the required position as per the thickness of the slice you want to split. After that push the wood toward the running blade to make the slices.
8. Keep the blade clean:
When you cut wood or anything else using a bandsaw , it will produce saw dust. So, it is very significant to clean the table and the blade after finishing your cutting. Cleaning the blade everyday will keep it fresh & retain the efficiency which will help you to get better performance next day. You can wipe off the dust by using a piece of cloth or brush. Besides, it is better to clean the blade with soapy water at least twice a month.
By proper utilization of following band saw tips & tricks, anyone can make his wood working simple and fascinating as per his convenient. This bandsaw is such a tool that can solve any cutting problem in your carpentry or wood-working.